Usually at this time manufacturers and marketers alike are preparing for new product launches to showcase these new wares at what is perhaps the largest HVACR tradeshow in the United States — AHR. But as we reflect one last time at 2013, let’s take a look at some boiler innovation that changed the game for contractors.
• Lochinvar Cadet — The Hub’s Eric Aune’s review of the Cadet said that the Cadet modulating/condensing boiler is relatively new to the market as a low-cost alternative to its big brother, the Knight heating boiler. Lochinvar has produced this model to target a specific need for a no-frills installation/replacement. This boiler utilizes a Giannoni heat exchanger. Anyone familiar with this stainless steel heat exchanger will know that it presents a high head loss and requires (at the least) primary/secondary piping with a properly sized boiler circulator to hydraulically separate the boiler from the system piping and satisfy the flow requirements through the heat exchanger.
The control (one heating zone input) with push-button functionality and constant display of actual output temperatures is simple and includes ODR (sensor included) functions. “The Cadet is a solid, no frills boiler. My experience with Lochinvar products in the past has been positive, mostly due to build/material quality and feature functionality. I expect the same from this new model.
For more, https://mechanical-hub.com//lochinvar-cadet-heating-boiler-156
• Dunkirk Helix — According to contributor Sean McCormack of BMC Plumbing & Heating, “Dunkirk designed the Helix with the contractors in mind giving us ample room so we can fit our hands inside the unit in order to reach certain parts if needed. As far as the interface, it can’t get any easier! It tells you everything you need to know about the boiler with only a few buttons to push! This Dunkirk Helix is without a doubt my friend for life!”
For more, https://mechanical-hub.com//product-review-dunkirk-helix-boiler
• Navien NCB Boiler — One of our most visited products on the site, Navien introduces the NCB Series combi-boilers: the first condensing combination boilers capable of simultaneously delivering plentiful hydronic heat and unlimited domestic hot water (DHW) for large homes, including those in cold climates. The new NCB Series combi-boilers are uniquely designed for ease of installation and also incorporate a host of features to deliver reliable performance and notable energy cost savings. NCB Series combi-boilers also take up as much as 80% less space than a traditional floor-standing boiler and water heater. NCB Series combi-boilers are offered in three models, the NCB-180, NCB-210 and NCB-240. Maximum heating input for hydronic heating is 80,000 BTU/H, 100,000 BTU/H and 120,000 BTU/H, respectively. Domestic hot water flow rates for each model at 77 Delta T are 3.4 gallons per minute (GPM), 4.0 GPM and 4.5 GPM, respectively – comparable to a stand-alone tankless water heater.
For more, https://mechanical-hub.com//navien-ncb-combi-boilers
• Carlin EZGas Pro Burner — The EZGas Pro burner converts existing oil-fired boilers, furnaces, and water heaters to natural gas or propane at a fraction of the cost of replacing the appliance. Factory packed with combustion control and gas fuel train. Does not require a refractory liner – fires with or without a combustion chamber. Proven in extensive boiler and furnace testing, these burners will meet your needs for residential gas burning applications. Power gas burner — 50,000 – 275,000 BTUs.
For more, https://mechanical-hub.com//carlin-ezgas-pro-burner
• Bosch Greenstar — Bosch Thermotechnology has introduced two new gas condensing Greenstar models for residential applications with AFUE rating of 95%: the Greenstar Combi 131 for space heating and hot water at up to 3.2 GPM and the Greenstar 79 for space heating.
Both wall-mounted units are available with new venting options from Bosch: concentric up and out venting and polypropylene twin pipe for installation flexibility. The up and out venting option kit consists of an appliance adaptor, a 90° elbow and a telescopic termination that accommodates varying wall thicknesses.
Greenstar wall-mounted boilers feature ultra-efficient condensing technology. With a hydronic manifold and three-speed integral pump, they can be installed more quickly.
Join the conversation: