Marketair Inc., an Edison, N.J.-based supplier of specialized and innovative installation components for the North American HVAC market, introduces the Disconnect Standby Switch (DSS), the industry’s only electrical disconnect box with a ready-access standby portable generator port/switch for powering residential or light commercial air conditioner/heat pump condensers during power outages.
As North American power unreliability increases due to an aging electric grid and intensified weather-related events, the DSS–combined with a portable generator– ensures quick, reliable indoor air comfort within minutes for homeowners and tenants during power outages.
The DSS differs from common condenser electrical disconnect boxes, because it features a three-position toggle that switches from–“PWR” (house power), “OFF” (disconnect mode), and “GEN” (generator position). It’s wired the same as a conventional disconnect box, but uses a plug-and-play whip. If a power outage or brownout occurs, condenser power can resume within seconds by connecting a working generator’s extension cord to the DSS’s grounded three-wire male 120V receptacle (four-wire on 240V models) and activating the standby switch. No rewiring is required.
Assembled in the USA with UL-listed components, the DSS was developed specifically for air conditioners/heat pumps. It’s constructed of a 6 x 6 x 6-inch (152 x 152 x 152-mm) aluminum, corrosion-resistant, NEMA-rated weatherproof box (when in use). The transparent plastic, code-compliant locking cover allows sightlines to the interior power status LED red (generator) and green (house power) lights. It’s available in three voltage/amperages: 1) DSS15–15 amp/120V; 2) DSS25–25 amp/240V; and DSS30–30 amp/240V.
Other DSS features include:
- Available with an optional 75KA surge protector;
- All aluminum, stainless steel and plastic construction for coastal salt environments;
- Packaged in a white, bar-coded 8 x 8 x 8-inch (203 x 203 x 203-mm) cardboard box with illustrations (5-lbs gross—(2.2-k));
- Becomes a life/safety guarantee for heat pump systems during winter outages;
- Designed for both ductless and smaller unitary systems;
- One-year limited warranty/lifetime limited warranty on surge protector;
- When combined with a portable generator, the DSS offers indoor air comfort while saving tens of thousands of dollars on a whole house generator purchase;
- Double pole/double throw switch prevents back-feed during power outages;
- Ideal for zero lot line situations or when local property codes don’t permit permanently-installed generators.
The DSS is available at many participating North American HVAC/R wholesale distributors or direct from Marketair. For more information on other innovative Marketair HVAC/R products, please visit www.marketair.com.