Xylem Inc. and its Bell & Gossett (B&G) brand released the latest generation of their intelligent pump controller/market-leading variable frequency drive (VFD), further strengthening its portfolio of system solutions. The updated TECHNOLOGIC VFD series combines two advanced controller functions — the Start-Up Genie and an electronically controlled bypass — engineered to reduce on-site setup and configuration time by more than 50 percent across a wide range of hydronic HVAC system applications.
“The demand to reduce operating costs and optimize building systems is higher than ever. This bundled offering of B&G hydraulics and TECHNOLOGIC controls ensures a single point of contact and ease of service — a critical factor in pump specification,” said Kyle Schoenheit, Global Product Manager, Xylem. “B&G continues to offer solutions that address our customers’ feedback and meet the needs of commercial building owners.”
The TECHNOLOGIC drive’s proprietary Start-Up Genie guides users and installers through quick and easy commissioning, with its 10 preconfigured applications, preset pump protections and input/output options. For more straightforward hydraulic applications, a built-in Auto set mode is available that remembers previously set parameters, enabling users to quickly make adjustments without inputting measurements. Set-up time is about 15 minutes, compared to more than 45 minutes for most other products available today.
For applications with varying flow ranges, the TECHNOLOGIC has the ability to alter hydraulic performance to maintain constant system pressure, resulting in more efficient operations. The drive provides constant speed lag control and the ability to control one variable speed pump with up to two fixed speed lag pumps triggered by relay. This duplex configuration provides precise application management. It has the versatility to support large hydraulic ranges while optimizing system uptime for the end-user.
The TECHNOLOGIC’s bypass option with electronic control ensures uninterruptible operation of the HVAC system by keeping the rotating equipment running, even if the drive is taken out of the loop. Advanced system control features include: automatic bypass; common start/stop in drive or bypass modes; and advanced firefighter’s override.
The TECHNOLOGIC is compatible with any system and a variety of products, including B&G’s Series e-80 vertical inline centrifugal pumps available with Integrated Technologic Sensorless Control VFDs, eliminating the cost and time of using wired transducers to better match system demands.
Additional highlights include:
· Built-in BACnet, Modbus® RTU and Metasys® N2 communications protocols simplify integration into existing building management systems.
· Manual and standby alternation supports even wear on the pump with built-in protection of dry pump, dynamic flow-loss compensation and low-flow detection, increasing product life and reducing maintenance costs.
· The Genie’s step-by-step process ensures that the drive is installed correctly the first time eliminating common callbacks often associated with installations.
· The My Personal Menu enables users to focus on selected and saved parameters, with its USB connectivity supports remote diagnostics through PC software to prevent accidental loss of data due to voltage surge. In the event of failure all field values will remain stored.
· The pump’s logic is held in memory storage, with automatic energy optimization to regulate output voltage and improve system efficiency as loads change, further preventing loss of data due to a voltage surge.
· A bypass option is available for critical situations that cannot endure a shut down, even for short periods of time (e.g., hospital HVAC, central energy pumps). If the VFD fails, the system will run on bypass until the VFD is repaired.