Review: Carrier Côr Thermostat an IoT device
As with all the products and tools I review here on The Hub I like to put them to use for a while before posting my experience, good or bad. Early in February I installed a Carrier Côr thermostat. Côr is a “smart” thermostat with the ability to monitor the runtimes and cycles of a heating or cooling system for monthly analysis and energy saving measures but it’s more than that.
As with nearly all modern thermostats on the market today, Côr connects to any 802.11 b/g/n wireless routers, allowing remote access from virtually anywhere via simple wifi connectivity.
Guided programming options allow homeowners to maintain control of their home comfort system manually, or simply let the Côr thermostat do all the work for them. To maximize energy efficiency, the Côr thermostat offers advanced features like smart setback, which automatically determines the optimal temperature for home comfort and energy savings based on user input during setup.
The Côr thermostat provides in-depth energy reports, with detailed system performance data available back to the installation date. Each report includes interactive energy-efficiency tips, providing homeowners the ability to instantly modify settings for maximum savings.
This, to my knowledge, may be the only Carrier product packaged and sold through the retail supply chain. But like all other thermostats on the market direct to consumer sales have proven to be a profitable marketing strategy for such devices. Be it that contractors simply refuse to adopt the latest technology in large numbers or not, a “professional” version of the Côr is not offered.
Facts & Thoughts-
– My Côr stat is operating a high efficiency boiler and forced air furnace. Both are natural gas.
– Installation was a breeze but it’s also not the first thermostat I’ve installed so nothing of note here is something to consider I guess.
– Styling closely represents the look and feel of a smart phone or tablet, color touch screen interface.
– Heating/Cooling “Smart Setback” monitors outdoor/indoor temp along with occupancy to anticipate and maintain comfort while being efficient.
– Modes: Heat/Cool/Auto (Heat & Cool Settings)
– Super dehumidification, cool to dehumidify
– Outdoor/Indoor temperature & Indoor humidity display
– Optional wall-plate/ bezel included covering existing widespread holes from former stats.
I have to say the Côr is impressive. I have just recently passed the required minimum wait time to compile enough monitored data to access the runtime/cycle reports. Although I’m not surprised at how little my heating system has ran over the last month, I have noticed less cycles per hour [compared to the previous t-stat] probably due to the smart programming.
Add yet another device to the IoT (Internet of Things) as the Côr definitely fits within the space of smart devices engineered to save energy and “automate” home operations. A standalone mobile app is available for remote connectivity thru either Apple’s App Store or the Google Play Store for Android devices making integration with existing Z-wave or Zigby platform hub systems incompatible as the Côr operates within its own proprietary network.