Twelve top plumbing and HVACR students have received honors in the plumbing and HVACR competitions of the annual SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Contest, held recently in Kansas City, Mo.
The PHCC Educational Foundation and PHCC—National Association support the plumbing and HVACR contests each year. The Foundation’s Plumbing Apprentice and Journeyman Training Committee makes up the majority of the SkillsUSA Plumbing Technical Committee, and PHCC members were on hand to set up and help with contest judging. The PHCC Educational Foundation also has a representative on the SkillsUSA HVACR Technical Committee, who assists with set up and contest judging.
Throughout the week, nearly 6,000 secondary and postsecondary career and technical education students competed in 104 trades contests. This year’s plumbing honors went to:
· Plumbing 1st Place Secondary – Anthony Collari, Blackstone Valley RVTHS, Upton, Mass.
· Plumbing 1st Place Post-Secondary – Jordan Kleffner, Linn State Technical College, Linn, Mo.
· Plumbing 2nd Place Secondary – Dennis Reynolds, Jr., Cecil County School of Technology, North East, Md.
· Plumbing 2nd Place Post-Secondary – Miguel Gastelum, Fred G. Acosta Job Corps, Tucson, Ariz.
· Plumbing 3rd Place Secondary – Flint McCloud, Davis Applied Technical Center, Kaysville, Utah
· Plumbing 3rd Place Post-Secondary – James Meade, Putnam Career and Technical Center, Eleanor, W. Va.
This year’s HVACR honors went to:
· HVACR 1st Place Secondary – Daniel Blizman, Platt Technical High School, Milford, Conn.
· HVACR 1st Place Post-Secondary – Brock Miesner, Linn State Technical College, Linn, Mo.
· HVACR 2nd Place Secondary – Stephen Zettl, Burks CTC – West Campus, Leesport, Penn.
· HVACR 2nd Place Post-Secondary – Jason Thompson, Rowan Cabarrus Community College, Salisbury, N. C.
· HVACR 3rd Place Secondary – Jack Russo, Worcester Technical High School, Newark, Md.
· HVACR 3rd Place Post-Secondary – Cody Hendrickx, Lewis-Clark State College, Lewiston, Id.
Technical committee members for this year’s event included:
· Robyn Bucknam, DEWALT Industrial Tool Co., Mooresville, N. C. (plumbing)
· Laurie Crigler, L & D Associates, Inc., Aroda, Va. (plumbing)
· Caprice Dreifort, Milwaukee Electric Tool Co., Brookfield, Wisc. (plumbing)
· Robert Hahn, Co-Chair, All Season Energy Service, Union, N. J. (plumbing)
· Merry Beth Hall, Co-Chair, PHCC Educational Foundation, Falls Church, Va. (plumbing)
· Patty Jones, Raven Mechanical, Houston, Tex. (plumbing)
· William Jones, Raven Mechanical, Houston, Tex. (plumbing)
· Harold Moret, Copper Development Association, Braselton, Ga. (plumbing)
· Dennis Peters, DKP Plumbing, Paso Robles, Cal.(plumbing)
· Roger Peugeot, Roger the Plumber, Overland Park, Kan. (plumbing)
· Ryan Peugeot, Roger the Plumber, Overland Park, Kan. (plumbing)
· Dale Powell, Copper Development Association, Harrisburg, Pa. (plumbing)
· Ronald Shanaver, Milwaukee Electric Tool Co., Brookfield, Wisc. (plumbing)
· Jamie Simpson, Schaal Heating & Cooling, Des Moines, Ia. (HVACR)
· Mike Stack, Stack Plumbing, Kirkland, Wash. (plumbing)
· Jim Steinle, Atomic Plumbing, Virginia Beach, Va. (plumbing)
· James Walls, Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute, Garland, Tex. (plumbing)
The plumbing competition was made possible by the following generous industry sponsors:
Headline Sponsors: A. O. Smith; Copper Development Association, Inc.; Kohler; and Viega.
Additional prize and materials sponsors included: BrassCraft Manufacturing Co.; Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute; Charlotte Pipe & Foundry; Cooper B-Line Industries; Delta Faucet Company; DEWALT Tools & Accessories; Harris Products Group; Irwin Industrial Tools; Matheson Gas; Milwaukee Electric Tool Co.; Mission Rubber Co.; Oatey; PHCC Educational Foundation, PHCC – National Association; Ridge Tool Company; Roger the Plumber; Rothenberger USA; Sioux Chief Manufacturing Co.; Tyler Pipe; and UA Local 8.